Jump Into Summer!
Is it just us, or is May a busy month for everyone? It can be hard to find time to relax and unwind; but as we approach Memorial day weekend, I am getting more and more excited about spending time with family and friends and relaxing and remembering. Memorial day is usually a big day for grilling and summer kick off parties, but it is also a time that many relax out by the pool while enjoying your favorite iced beverage (mine is sweet tea) while family and friends gather to enjoy all of our summer favorites. So as we gather to welcome summer and remember the men and women who have fought for our freedom, why not add a great salmon burger to your menu. As some of you may know we had a recipe contest in February, and the winning recipe was posted in March; but what you may not know is that the entries were so good it was really hard to pick one so we narrowed it down to two. The runner up is a Salmon Burger recipe submitted by Susan Williams, it is soo good and will definitely be a crowd pleaser. So like most this weekend my family will be grilling; and I personally think adding Susan’s recipe to the menu would be a great addition to any spread. So if you are interested check out Susan’s recipe below. We hope you will enjoy it as much as we did. So as you prepare for the holiday weekend, we would like to wish you a safe, happy Memorial Day, and thank all the men and women who fight and have fought to protect our freedom.
Wild Salmon Burgers with Lemon, Capers, and Toasted Sesame Mayonnaise
A more affordable way to enjoy wild salmon, and perhaps, your new FAVORITE way to enjoy wild salmon. These burgers are packed with flavor, and crispy texture that is divine!
- 5 tablespoons (or more) olive oil
- 1/2 cup chopped shallots (about 3 large)
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 2 T. capers, drained
- 1 1/2 pounds chilled salmon “burger”
- 1 1/2 cups panko
- 1 large egg, beaten to blend
- 2 T. chopped fresh parsley
- 1 t. teaspoons sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 6 hamburger buns, split, lightly buttered, toasted
Toasted Sesame Mayonnaise
- 1/2 c. mayonnaise
- 1 t. toasted sesame oil
- 1 clove finely minced garlic
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1 chopped green onion
- Heat 4 tablespoons olive oil in heavy medium skillet over medium heat. Add shallots and sauté until translucent, about 3 minutes. Increase heat to medium-high. Add white wine, lemon juice and drained capers and cook until almost all liquid evaporates, about 12 minutes. Transfer shallot mixture to large bowl. Refrigerate until shallot mixture is well chilled.
- While shallot mixture is chilling, make the toasted sesame mayonnaise. Combine mayonnaise, toasted sesame oil, minced garlic, parsley, and chopped green onion. Refrigerate. This will allow flavors to mingle.
- Add ground salmon to cooled shallot mixture. Mix in panko, beaten eggs, sea salt and freshly ground pepper. Form salmon mixture into 6 patties, dividing equally. (Patties can be made ahead and chilled for a few hours, if that will help your schedule.)
- Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in heavy large skillet over medium-high heat. Working in batches, add salmon patties to skillet and cook until patties are golden brown and cooked through, about 2 minutes per side, adding more oil to skillet as needed. Serve salmon burgers on toasted hamburger buns with toasted sesame mayonnaise.
By Susan Williams