This recipe is elevated comfort food, perfect for cold weather!
Potato and Leek Ragout
- 1/2 cup fish or chicken stock
- 1/4 cup leeks, washed and cut in strips
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced white onion
- 12oz. russet potatoes, peeled and cut crosswise into 1/4-inch thick slices
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons chopped chives
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon each, chopped: onions, celery, leeks
- 1 table spoon peeled and cubed russet potato
- 1 clove garlic, smashed
- 1 small bay leaf
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1 whole black peppercorn
- 3 tablespoons dry white wine
- 2 teaspoons tomato paste
- 1 1/2 cup fish or chicken stock
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 1/2 tablespoons beurre manie (equal parts flour and softened butter, mixed to a smooth paste)
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chopped chives
- 2 tablespoons each butter and olive oil
- 4 Pacific Cod fillets
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 julienne-sliced leeks
- 2 daikon sprouts (or microgreens)
Make the ragout
Add the fish stock to a saucepan; layer on leeks, onions, and potato slices. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium-low. Cook covered until potatoes are cooked, about 10-12 minutes. Season with salt and pepper; sprinkle on chives. Remove from heat; cover and keep warm.
Cook vegetables and spices for vichyssoise
Heat olive oil in a sauce pot; stir in onions, celery, leeks, potato, garlic, bay leaf, thyme, rosemary, and pepper. Sautee until soft, about 3-4 minutes.
Add liquids to vichyssoise and strain
Add wine and cook until volume is reduced by half. Whisk in tomato paste and then fish stock. Bring to a boil, reduce to simmer, and then cook until reduced by half. Stir in cream, and heat through. Pour sauce over a fine strainer into another pot.
Whisk in beurre manie and cook an additional 1-2 minutes, until sauce thickens. Turn off hear and stir in lemon juice. Cover and keep warm, adding chopped chives just before serving.
Cook cod, plate, and serve
Heat butter and olive oil in a pan over medium-high heat. Season Pacific Cod with salt and pepper. Add fish to pan. Cook until golden brown on both sides. To serve, divide vegetables among 4 shallow bowl plates. Pour on sauce. Top with fillets, and garnish with leeks and sprouts.